Spider Man movies in order: From Tobey Maguire to Tom Holland
Spider Man movies in order
How many Spider Man movies are there? You may wonder how they are ranked in order, and whether you’ve seen all of them. Here is a list of Spider Man movies in order, from Tobey Maguire to Tom Holland, so that you can keep track of your favorite superhero and all his movies!
Raimi’s first attempt
The first movie based on the Spider Man comic series was released in 2002 and directed by Sam Raimi. It starred Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker and Willem Dafoe as Norman Osborn/The Green Goblin.
Ivan Sergei played Dr. Otto Octavius, while Kirsten Dunst played Mary Jane Watson. The sequel, Spider Man 2, saw a 2004 release with Tobey Maguire reprising his role from the original film. In 2007, another sequel, Spider Man 3 was released; it became one of the most expensive films ever made but did not do well at the box office because it has mixed reviews from critics and fans alike.
The Amazing Spider Man reboots everything
Andrew Garfield is taking his red and blue suit off and it’s going to be Marvel Cinematic Universe newcomer Tom Holland who will be coming in as the new Spider Man. Ever since his debut in Captain America: Civil War, there has been a lot of excitement and hype around this newest actor, but what do we know about him? Tom Holland was born on July 1, 1996 in Kingston upon Thames and started acting when he was only 8 years old. His first role was in Billy Elliot The Musical (2005) where he played the lead character Billy Elliot at age 10. After that he went on to star in TV series Wolf Hall (2015) and London Spy (2016). Tom Holland also starred alongside Asa Butterfield in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children where he played Jake. We don’t know much about the upcoming movie yet apart from the official title which is Spider Man: Homecoming and that it’ll come out next year on July 7th.
Sony has other plans, but Marvel steps in
Sony has owned the rights to Spider Man since 1989, when it acquired them from Marvel Comics. In 1999, it made a deal with Marvel Entertainment–owned by Disney at the time–where Sony would use Spider Man as a character and collaborate on movie adaptations. Since 2002, there have been six Spider Man films. The last two were not directly produced by Sony Pictures because it could not make a deal with Marvel Studios. That’s why Spider Man will be part of Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Facts about Tobey Maguire Spider Man Movies in Order (1993) Spider Man were released on May 3rd, 2002. It was followed by three sequels which all took place after the events of September 11th, 2001. The first film was released in May 2007 and had mixed reviews. It came out just before the most recent Avengers film which helped revive interest in the series. Despite its flaws, it set an opening weekend box office record for Sony Pictures Releasing Group at $114 million while also ranking #1 globally with $890 million.
Enter Captain America, Iron Man and Thor
This summer, Spider Man is back on the big screen. In honour of the movie’s release and 20 years since the first Spider Man movie, let’s take a look at how the superhero has evolved on film over the last two decades.
1) The Amazing Spider Man (2012) – starring Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spider Man
2) Spider Man 3 (2007) – starring Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider Man
3) The original Spider Man movie from 2002 with Toby Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider Man
4) Spider Man 2 (2004), starring Toby Maguire again.
5) Before that, there was Sam Raimi’s trilogy of films starting with Spider Man in 2002, starring Toby Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider Man. Then came Spider Man 2 in 2004 and finally, Spider Man 3 in 2007. All three were directed by Sam Raimi.
6) Marc Webb took over for 2012’s reboot of The Amazing Spider Man starring Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spider Man with Emma Stone playing Gwen Stacy who he falls for during his time living among humans while wearing the mask.
7) After that, Sony Pictures announced plans for Sinister Six (a villain-centered spinoff of the series), Venom, Black Cat, Silver Sable and Morbius.
8) Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spider Man was introduced in Captain America: Civil War alongside Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man before having his solo movie debut this summer in Spider Man Homecoming.
9) Here are all the Spider Man movies in order.
10) The Amazing Spider Man (2012)
11) Spider Man 3 (2007)
12) Original Spider Man Movie from 2002
13) Spider Man 2 (2004)
14) Tim Burton’s Batman Series – Begins with 1989’s Batman and continues with 1992’s Batman Returns
15)There was also Alfred Hitchcock Series like North by Northwest and Psycho, plus British police dramas like Inspector Morse or Prime Suspect.
Homecoming changes everything
Tony Revolori stars as Flash Thompson, a classmate of Peter’s who absolutely hates Spider Man. Hated is an understatement – he can’t stand the web-slinging hero. He’s just as much of an arrogant jock as his cinematic predecessor, but there’s intelligence behind the snarky remarks. One thing we’re looking forward to about Homecoming is that it features Peter wrestling with responsibility – what does it mean if everyone expects you to save them? Homecoming also seems like it will be fun and light-hearted, so I’m excited for this movie.
But most importantly, I’m excited to see what new incarnation of Spider Man we’ll get!
Tom Holland has been cast as the newest actor to portray Spider-Mn, and judging from these trailers he looks like he’s going to make a great Spidey.
Into the future with far From Home
With Far from Home now out and likely the last of the Spidey films with both Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland as our favourite hero, it’s time for a recap of all Spider Man films since 2002.
1) Spider Man (2002) – This original film came with a huge cast including Kirsten Dunst, Willem Dafoe and James Franco. Although it was praised by critics, it failed at the box office.
2) Spider Man 2 (2004) – The sequel was more successful than the first and featured Alfred Molina as Doc Octopus.
3) Spider Man 3 (2007)- One of two critical failures of Sam Raimi’s trilogy, this one had two villains: Venom played by Topher Grace and Sandman played by Thomas Haden Church.
4) The Amazing Spider Man (2012) – Unlike the previous series which starred Toby McGuire, this one starred Andrew Garfield.
5) The Amazing Spider Man 2 (2014)- While there were some good reviews on the film, it received mixed reviews.
6) Spider Man: Into the Spiderverse (2018)- For younger audiences or those who just want to see a different version of Peter Parker, check out this animated movie! Spider Man: Far From Home (2019)- Featuring both new and returning actors, this is the second solo outing for Tom Holland as Spider Man.
7) Untitled Spider Man Reboot (In production)- A new director has been hired and will be the third standalone instalment of Sony’s Spider Man franchise.
8) Untitled Spider Man Reboot (In production)- It’ll start shooting later this year and could come out in 2020.
9) Untitled Spider Man Reboot (In production)- Since they haven’t announced what villain they’re going to feature yet, we can only speculate.
10) Untitled Spider Man reboot (in Production)- Still no word on whether they plan to recast the role or not but we’ll keep you updated when we know more!